Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gone Baptizin'

I have a few odds and ends I'd like to post on today, but I must be quiet. I feel a grumpy day is on the horizon and the little monster is sleeping at the moment. See below, taken 5 minutes ago.


This weekend Lea receive sacrament number 1: baptism. (She can now feel the guilt like the rest of us Catholics) Lots to cover here people, so we need to get moving.
First and foremost, I feel the need to explain some things. Most churches baptize by pouring water on the head of the munchkin --pretty standard. Our church practices baptism by immersion. This is something the wife and I were pretty nervous about. Just a tad. So when I refer to the dunking of the kid, that is what I mean.
Second, Kate and I were playing host to loads of family after the event. Lots of food, lots of people and hoping the child would be happy.
I believe we will take a journey through pictures.


Here is Lea pre-dunking. She was in a good mood. In the background you see my father holding back Patrick (my nephew, from the clan of Jason).


This is the baptismal font. That is my naked kid. Now when I say dunking, I'm not kidding. Her back side was dipped into the water. You can see Kate and my lower halves behind the priest. We couldn't actually see what was going on. Sooooo after the first two dunks we heard no screams. (There were four total baptisms that evening during mass. The little guy who was baptized before Lea was wicked loud. His scream echoed in the church. I laughed a little. Okay a lot.) Due to the fact that I couldn't see my munchkin's reaction, I read the faces of those across the church. I saw a woman make a face that said, "Oh look at that wonderful child. She's doing great after the first two dunks. I wish I had a grandchild that was as good as that special baby. I bet she's going to be something special when she grows up. She'll also not date until she's 30 and that'll be on with the intention that she's being courted to be married--but that'll be well after she's set up her private practice (either in law or medicine, or both...she could be a lawdoc)." That woman's face changed during the third dip to something like, "Here it comes..although all that other positive stuff is still true." Lea then screamed. Not as loud as the little boy though.

At the end of mass, Lea did what most young Catholic children do.
Me, Kate, Lea, and her Godparents: Chris and Joy Evans. Joy was concerned that she was going to be struck by lightening, or burned by holy water. Neither happened, Joy made it out of church unscathed.
The rest of the night included food and drink. I'd like to thank everyone who was able to make it out. Kate and I were very thankful to have so many people could share the evening with us. But I do have a bone to pick with you people. We bought 10 pounds of pork loin that we, okay she, made into pulled pork. We had at least three pounds left. I used to believe that our families are made up of big eaters. We thought about getting more. 3 pounds left? Really? Just sad.
On that note I finish by typing with one hand because the grumpster is now awake. No proof reading so forgive any major errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment